The CMA is committed to the concept of the 21st-century museum. We believe in being inclusive and participatory. We believe that art is meant to be experienced, not just seen.
Your museum is a place brimming with activity and new ideas.
- Internationally renowned collection
- Traveling shows and only-at-CMA exhibitions
- Interactive Cross Hatch activity space
- Weekly, monthly, and annual events for all ages
- Art that spans 5,000 years of global history in 26 galleries
- National Medal for Museum and Library Service
- Two Elizabeth O'Neill Verner Governor's Awards for the Arts for outstanding contributions to the arts in South Carolina
- National Art Education Association award
- National Park Foundation Award
- American Alliance of Museums
- Southeastern Museums Conference
- South Carolina Arts Alliance
- South Carolina Association of Nonprofit Organizations
In addition to our rotating exhibitions, the CMA has a fantastically diverse permanent collection of art. In fact, we have one of the largest and most impressive international collections in the southeast, including many Renaissance and Baroque pieces. We organize our collection by theme, so that visitors can explore thematically similar pieces from across many eras. We think this creates a richer experience for our guests, who enjoy seeing how an idea like "Vice and Virtue" is explored in different ways over the years.
View of the Seine by French Impressionist Claude Monet