Virtual Family Fun Night: Magic Purple Circle Goes to the Museum
Friday, July 10 | 6:00 – 7:00 p.m.
The CMA teams up with Darion McCloud and the NiA Company for the (online) return of Family Fun Night! Enjoy the premiere of “Magic Purple Circle Goes to the Museum” to see characters Purpley and Purplier take their first trip to an art museum, where they run in to some very excited folks who work there. Together you will view the new exhibition Black Is Beautiful: The Photography of Kwame Brathwaite, learn how to safely visit a museum during the age of social distancing, and create your own art from home!
Appropriate for families and all ages.
Art Project: Found Object Self Portrait
Tune in for instructions from CMA staffer Sherrie.
- A tabletop mirror or reflective surface
- One sheet of heavyweight white paper (construction paper, cardstock, etc.)
- Markers or crayons
- Found objects (objects from around the house that can be repurposed into art such as string, egg cartons, fabric scraps, or feathers)
- Make sure your found objects are not too heavy for your paper and can be attached using regular craft glue. Having trouble finding objects? Try cutting up old magazines or cut shapes out of construction paper.
- No tabletop mirror? Turn on the front-facing camera on a phone or an iPad.
- Want a sturdier surface for your self-portrait? Assemble it on a piece of cardboard (e.g. a piece of an old cereal box).
Museum from Home activities for Black Is Beautiful are sponsored by First Citizens Bank.